NERC is a jointly managed and operated project between Harvard University’s FAS Research Computing and Boston University’s Research Computing. This chart represents the organization of the team and its current open position(s).
Systems Engineer III
Boston University is seeking a Research Computing Systems Engineer to join the development and operation efforts of the newly formed project called the New England Research Cloud (NERC). You will be contributing to design, implementation, operation, and support of advanced Research Computing (RC) services based on technologies such as OpenStack, OpenShift, Kubernetes, KVM, and CEPH. As a member of the Research Computing Systems Engineering team at Boston University, you will collaborate with our partner, Harvard University, on this project.
Duties and responsibilities include:
– Contributing to design and implementation of virtualization and container servicesAutomating deployments using a configuration management system
– Developing automation and monitoring capabilities using programming skills
– Identifying and developing resolutions for system and performance issues
– Contributing to development and support of client workflows utilizing NERC and BU RC services.
– You will be working both directly with other team members, clients and key stakeholders, as well as independently. This position is partially remote.
– Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience or relevant post-secondary education including combination of these two.
– Experience in Linux systems administration, storage, and networking.
– Experience programming in a Linux environment, preferably Python.
– Experience in multiple languages such as Perl, C, BASH is a plus.
– Hands-on experience and understanding of Linux virtualization and containerization technologies (e.g. KVM, VMWare, Openstack, OpenNebula, Docker, Kubernetes)
– Ability to work with Configuration Management systems (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef) and Revision Control Systems (e.g. git)
– Strong communication, problem-solving, and teamwork skills.
You will be working both directly with other team members, clients and key stakeholders, as well as independently. This position is partially remote.
To apply, please visit the Boston University Human Resources website.