NERC is a jointly managed and operated project between Harvard University’s FAS Research Computing and Boston University’s Research Computing. This chart represents the organization of the team and its current open positions (note: these roles are part of the larger Harvard FAS and BU Research computing teams).
Boston University is seeking a Systems Software Developer to help design, implement various internal cloud technologies (incl. OpenStack, OpenShift, and Ceph) to provide University researchers with a robust, production quality, platforms and services for computing, storage, and software. This position will join a multi-institutional team in the newly formed project called the New England Research Cloud (NERC) with Leads and Directors of Research Computing at Harvard FAS and Boston University. This position will report to the NERC Lead Systems Engineer within Boston Research Computing Services and will be key in creating a seamless experience for end users including federated authentication, reporting of resource utilization, and seamless access to data in the Northeast Storage Exchange (NSF funded Ceph project). As a member of the Research Computing Systems Engineering team at Boston University, you will collaborate with our partner, Harvard University, on this project.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience or relevant post-secondary education including a combination of these two.
- Experience in Linux systems administration, storage, and networking.
- Experience programming in Linux environment, preferably Python. Experience in multiple languages such as Perl, C, BASH is a plus.
- Hands-on experience and understanding of Linux virtualization and containerization technologies (e.g. KVM, VMWare, Openstack, OpenNebula, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Ability to work with Configuration Management systems (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef) and Revision Control Systems (e.g. git)
- Strong communication, problem-solving, and teamwork skills.
If interested in applying, please send your resume to Wayne Gilmore. Formal application link will be updated soon.